Dear Columbine Families and Friends,
I can’t believe that it is already December. As I write this letter, I can see through my window Columbine families building the float for the Lights of December parade. The design team decided that the unifying theme would be the Himno de las Americas (Hymn of the Americas) a song that the 3rd-5th graders have been practicing this trimester. This is a song that celebrates all countries in the continent and its people. You can press Ctrl and click here to hear the song. This is very timely as we have been hearing from you that we need to be more deliberate about providing opportunities for everyone in the community to cherish each other’s differences as well as similarities. This week, our Columbine PTA, with the support of FRS (Family Resource School) brought the Affinity Arts Consulting firm to our meeting. This firm uses theatre to foster conversations between the audience members about how culture affects our perceptions of others, particularly those who are different from us. Columbine is a very diverse community and it is a perfect place for our students to develop, and practice, the following 21st Century Skills:
- Global Awareness,
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills, and
- The value of Communicating/Collaborating as well as learning or exploring other languages
I invite our parents and friends to speak with their children about their family values around diversity and to model these skills for our Columbine students. A great idea was brought up during the PTA meeting suggesting that for the next meeting participants bring someone from our Columbine Community that is perhaps different than them. Let’s keep talking about ways to grow in this area.
Below please find the following information:
- 3rd Grade Musical
- Fundraising for Columbine Baile Folclorico
- Monday 8- 3rd Grade Summit
- Tuesday 9- Kindergarten Summit; Michelle Dubois celebrated at Superintendent’s Honor Roll for being Colorado’s Talented and Gifted Teacher of the Year
- Thursday 11- 4th Grade Musical from 6:30 until 7:15 pm
- Friday 12- Matachines Dancers from 8:45 until 9:15 am
- Monday 15 – School Accountability Committee (SAC) meeting from 4:30 until 5:15 pm
- Thursday 18- Bien Educados Assembly. Kinder -2nd at 8:40 am and 3rd-5th at 1:00 pm
- Friday 19- Last day of school Winter Break!
- Tuesday 6- Back to School!
- Thursday 8- Open Enrollment Tours at 11:30 am and 5:00 pm. Invite your neighbors hoping to bring their kindergartners to Columbine!
Third Grade Musical- Was it great or what?