Currently students are learning about and exploring the following topics:
- Social Studies – With the election coming up, students will learn about:
- Our Branches of Government (balance of power)
- The Right to Vote
- Who has the right to vote?
- What is our history with people’s right to vote?
- The Political Parties in the United States
- The Big Issues
- At the National Level
- With our local government
- The Election Process
- What is the role you play in the process?
- What are the steps to making an informed decision?
- Election day
- The Electoral College
- Inauguration Day
- Science: Water and Weather – Students are learning:
- Weather conditions change because of the uneven heating of Earth’s surface by the Sun’s energy.
- Weather changes are measured by differences in temperature, air pressure, wind and water in the atmosphere and type of precipitation.
- Math: Students are learning how to find equivalent fractions and how to add and subtract fractions with like and unlike denominators. They will develop an understanding of how to:
- Formulate, represent, and use algorithms to add and subtract fractions with flexibility, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Solve problems and connect adding and subtracting fractions to real world situations.
- Students will read and discuss articles about current events that are happening in the world. While reading, they will use a range of strategies efficiently to construct meaning while reading literature.
- Students are reading and responding to narratives in whole group and small group learning environments.
- Students are crafting narratives and writing informed opinion pieces about different topics they feel are important.
Educational Websites / Sitos Educativo
Students can access the following sites at school and home. Their logins and passwords are written in their planners, but let us know if they need help.
- Math website – ixl.com
- login: bvsdstudentid@columbine
- password: bvsd######
- Woot Math – wootmath.com (class code HR4Z3D)
Schedule for 5th grade / Horario de 5to grado
Fifth graders had a exciting and fun adventure during their 3 day excursion in the mountains. Cal-Wood is an incredible opportunity for our students. Thank you to everyone who helped make this field trip a possibility for all. Here are some pictures from their outdoor education experience. Read More
English Menus September/October 2016 November/December 2016 January 2017 March2017 Menús de español Septiembre/Octubre 2017 Noviembre/Diciembre 2017 Enero 2017 Marzo 2017 Read More
Noticias menuales: Aqui conseguirán noticias de cada mes para 5to grado. Bienvenidos 2016-17 octubre 2016 noviembre 2016 enero 2017 febrero 2017 marzo 2017 Monthly Newsletters: You will find information about what’s going on each month in 5th grade here. Welcome 2016-17 October 2016 November 2016 January 2017 February 2017 March 2017 Read More
Bienvenidos al quinto grado. Estamos muy emocionados empezar el año escolar con este grupo otra vez. Si tienen preguntas por favor contáctennos. Welcome back to 5th Grade. We are super excited to start this year with this group again. If you have questions please give us a call. Read More